The champions of the Huron League and runners-up in both the Tri-County Conference and Lenawee County Athletic Association will hit the court together this week in the Class C District girls basketball tournament hosted by Monroe St. Mary Catholic Central.
Whiteford (13-7) is one of five teams in the seven-team District with an above-.500 record. The Bobcats travel to Britton Deerfield for a first round matchup tonight to open the state tournament. The Patriots (11-9) and Bobcats split their two regular season meetings.
Other first round games have Madison (11-9), the runner-up in the TCC this season, playing at SMCC (13-5), which shared the Huron League championship. Blissfield (8-11), the defending District champion, is at Summerfield (5-14).
Erie Mason has the best record in the District at 16-4 and the top scorer in All-State candidate Mary Liedel (22.4 points per game). The Eagles face the Whiteford/Britton Deerfield winner on Wednesday at in the nightcap at SMCC.
Some interesting notes:
- SMCC enters the District having lost four of its last six regular season games.
- Madison went 11-3 in the TCC, but 0-6 in non-conference games.
- Whiteford is looking for its first District title since 1991.
- Erie Mason has its most victories since the 2000 season.
- The scoring champion of both the LCAA (Mason’s Mary Liedel) and TCC (Whieford’s Baylee Baldwin) are both in this District.
- The District winner will face the winner of the Clinton district. Among the teams in that District is two-time defending Class D state champion Pittsford, who is 20-0 but competing in Class C this year.
GIRLS CLASS C AT SMCC
(First Round game at sites)
Monday, Feb. 26: Madison (11-9) at Monroe St. Mary Catholic Central (13-5), 7; Blissfield (8-11) at Summerfield (5-14), 7; Whiteford (13-7) at Britton Deerfield (11-9), 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 28: SMCC/Madison winner vs. Summerfield/Blissfield winner, 6 p.m. at SMCC; BD/Whiteford winner vs. Erie Mason (16-4), 7:30 p.m., at SMCC.
Friday, March 2: Finals, 7 p.m., at SMCC