Here are some notes on tonight’s Whiteford vs. Blissfield varsity football game, to be played at 7 p.m. at Blissfield.
- Whiteford has won seven straight season openers against Blissfield, dating back to 2012.
- The Bobcats return two starters to it’s offensive line – senior tackle Josh Hagan and sophomore tackle Noah Bauman.
- The top returning rusher for Whiteford is fullback/wing back Devon Shaw (26 carries, 152 yards). Shaw is also the top returning tackler on the team (49 tackles).
- Whiteford enters the game on a 27-game regular season winning streak. It’s the second-longest streak in Monroe County Region history.
- Ron Estes returns to the sidelines as the Blissfield coach. He went 76-39 in his previous 11 seasons as head coach of the Royals (2002-2012). Estes is 5-2 against Whiteford.
- “Whiteford is … Whiteford, if you know what I mean,” Estes said. “They are tough. They get off the ball fast and that presents a lot of problems. Their offensive line surge is impressive.”
- Blissfield has some impressive weapons of their own, starting with three-year starting quarterback Gavin Ganun. Now a junior, Ganun has more than 2,500 career passing yards. The Royals also have back an impressive receiver in Zack Horky, its leading rusher last year in Roman Furll and brothers Dean and Ty Wyman.
- Jason Mensing is starting his 8th season as head coach at Whiteford and has a 71-14 record as coach of the Bobcats. He is 109-63 overall in 16 seasons as a head football coach.
- Whiteford has won three consecutive Tri-County Conference championships. Blissfield’s last Lenawee County Athletic Association championship was 2007. Estes was the Blissfield coach at the time.